Charles Russell Speechlys
Law firm in London established by the Grandson of The Right Honourable Charles Baron Russell of Killowen (Lord Chief Justice of England 1894-1900) who made the list for the Bad Judges in Graeme Williams QC book “A Short Book of BAD JUDGES”.
Grandson: Charles Ritchie Russell, Baron Russell of Killowen, PC (12 January 1908 – 23 June 1986) was a British judge and law lord. The son of the Lord Russell of Killowen, Russell was Lord Justice of Appeal from 1962 to 1975, having been made also a Privy Councillor in 1962. On 30 September 1975, he was appointed Lord of Appeal in Ordinary and became additionally a life peer with the title Baron Russell of Killowen, of Killowen in the County Down, the same title that his grandfather and father had held.
Grandfather -The Right Honourable Charles Baron Russell of Killowen – profile. Click here.
Law firm Charles Russell and Speechlys described as:
Today, we have 167 partners, and a total of 500 lawyers. With our headquarters in London, our office network stretches from the South of England to the Middle East, and our relationships and networks extend further – throughout the United States and the Caribbean to Africa and beyond.
Brief summary of history to date:
- 1891 Charles Russell and Co. was founded by Charles, son of Lord Russell of Killowen (MP and later Attorney-General under Prime Minister Gladstone and Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales)
- 1974 Speechly Bircham was formed by a merger between Speechly, Mumford & Soames and Bircham & Co. The origins of these firms lay in Dalrymple, Drake & Co. (founded by – Francis Thomas Bircham in 1845) and Speechly & Co (founded in 1875 by Thomas Speechly)
- 1980s Charles Russell merged with Williams & James and Peake & Co., both founded in the 1760s
- 1990s Speechly Bircham took over the Holborn-based practice of Baileys Shaw & Gillett and Charles Russell merged with Baldocks in Guildford
- 2000s Charles Russell opened its first two international offices in Geneva (2006) and Bahrain (2007)
- 2009 Speechly Bircham merged with Campbell Hooper
- 2011 Speechly Bircham opened its first two international offices in Luxembourg and Zurich
- 2013 Charles Russell opened its second office in the Middle East, in Qatar, and Speechly Bircham opened offices in Geneva and Paris
- 2014 Merger of Charles Russell and Speechly Bircham
1 Managing Partner: James Carter
1 Senior Partner: Christopher Page
9 Offices across 2 continents
10 Industry sectors